FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS FeedPinterest
Pin It

Migraine and Temporomandibular Disorders

A study by Franco, et al as­sessed the prevalence of primary headaches in adults with temporomandibular disorders (TMD) who were evaluated in a specialty orofacial pain clinic; the study also as­sessed controls without TMD. The study sample in­volved 158 individuals with TMD seen at a university-based specialty clinic, as well as 68 controls. The research diagnostic criteria for TMD were used to diagnose the TMD patients. Primary head­aches were as­sessed using a structured in­terview and classified according to the second edition of the “International Clas­si­f­i­cation for Headache Dis­orders” (Cephalalgia, 2004, Volume 24, Supplement 1).
     Data were analyzed by chi-square tests with a significance level of 5% and odds ratio (OR) tests with a 95% confidence interval (CI). The study found that primary headaches occurred in 45.6% of the control group: 30.9% with migraines and 14.7% with tension-type headaches (TTH). Primary headaches  occurred in 85.5% of individuals with TMD: the mi­graine was the most prevalent at 55.3%, followed by TTH at 30.2%; and 14.5% had no primary head­aches. In con­trast to controls, the OR for primary head­aches in TMD pa­tients was 7.05 (95% CI = 3.65 to 13.61; P = .000); for mi­graines the OR was 2.76 (95% CI = 1.50 to 5.06; P = .001); and for TTH the OR was 2.51 (95% CI = 1.18 to 5.35; P = .014). Myo­fascial pain/arthralgia was the most common TMD diagnosis (53.2%). The presence of primary or specific headaches was not associated with the time since the onset of TMD (P = .714). Mi­graine frequency was positively as­sociated with TMD pain severity (P = .000).
     The study concluded that TMD was associated with increased primary head­aches prevalence rates. The mi­graine was the most common primary head­aches diagnosis in individuals with TMD.
(Source: Jour­nal of Orofacial Pain, Sum­mer 2010, Volume 24, pages 287 to 292)


Dentistry Today is The Nations Leading Clinical News Magazine for Dentists. Here you can get the latest dental news from the whole world quickly.

 

Sponsor Logos