Anesthesia Blamed for Death of Wisdom Tooth Patient

The San Diego man who died as a result of wisdom tooth surgery last March lost his life due to an overdose of anesthesia. The autopsy report confirms that the man was given six different sedatives.

During the oral surgery, the patient started to cough, so he was given a dose of propofol. Subsequently, his oxygen levels dropped, and he was rushed to the hospital, where he passed away.

The dentist who performed the surgery was not available for comment, reports Fox 5 San Diego. The victim’s family is planning to take legal action but is first waiting for a report from the Dental Board of California.

Propofol is no stranger to controversy: the drug made headlines in 2009 as a leading cause in Michael Jackson’s untimely death.


 

 




Gravatar
Dr Knox (04.09.2013 (17:15:08))
Propofo Yes No It's amazing how the drug gets blamed.
The true issue is whether the patient was adequately monitored during hi "general" anesthetic.

The questions are
1. What monitors were used
2. Who was doing the monitoring
3. What resuscitative equipment was available
4. Who did the resuscitation?
5. Was ACLS certified?

The first clue is when the patient started coughing? Probably aspirated. The case should have halted then for evaluation of the patient.

I have seen this happen plenty of times where the dental offices are not ready to handle a coding patient.

Who gets the blame? The drug. I am an anesthesiologis t. Believe me, it isn't the drug.


Hide comment form

Smileys

:confused::cool::cry::laugh::lol::normal::blush::rolleyes::sad::shocked::sick::sleeping::smile::surprised::tongue::unsure::whistle::wink:

1000 Characters left

Antispam Refresh image Case sensitive